Thursday 26 June 2014

Everton - my part in their downfall



We have all been there before. A last gasp equalizer gives the third best team in Cyprus, Apollon Limassol, a precious point against Everton, and we all start to look for answers. How did this happen? Whose fault was it? The manager? The players? Or was it me??

All football fans like to think that they play a part in the success of their team. And that is never truer than with me and Everton. How often is the fantastic support called the extra man? We have all been at games when the ground is rocking and the crowd lifts the team to glory. A certain night involving Bayern Munich comes to mind.

But we also have to hold our hands up and acknowledge those moments when we have been responsible for misery and defeat. I have to confess that I felt that much of the gloom in the 1990s was down to me.

Now we all have our superstitions; the lucky or unlucky scarf. I got one for Christmas in 2013. I wore it for the defeat to Sunderland on Boxing Day and feel nervous about wearing it again…just in case.

But none of this comes near to the damage I have caused by listening to Everton on the radio. The 90s was particularly dark decade.

This is more than just superstition. It is scientifically proven. I think the story began back in the 1960s when I was glued to the radio as we lost 3 – 2 to Nottingham Forest in the 6th Round of the Cup. Much as I willed us to win it all seemed to go wrong. Then we come to the 1990s.

In January 1996 we were away to Stockport County – an easy game if ever there was one. Me and my son were listening to the game and we were edging to a nervy 2 – 1 win. Then with two minutes to go they equalised. We turned off the radio in disgust. Then, during the one minute it took to get downstairs and check the teletext (remember that?) Ebbrell banged in the winner. Coincidence? Maybe. But almost the same thing happened again in November that year. We were losing the derby at Anfield and seemed to be going nowhere. The radio went off with 10 minutes to go. We checked teletext again and Gary Speed had equalised with 8 minutes left. Now you have to admit that is spooky.

By now I was beginning to avoid this dangerous pastime. But in November 1997 I was caught off guard. 2 – 1 up away to Blackburn with a few minutes left. One of my sons asked me for a lift to Crosby Village which is less than 5 minutes drive. I recklessly switched on the radio in the car. Before we had left our road Blackburn had equalised. Then the penny dropped but before I could switch the radio off, they had got the winner. A miserable 2 – 3 defeat and it was all down to me!!

So this is why I will never listen to Everton under any circumstances. I even think it might be possible for me to walk past a radio and cause us to concede a couple of goals. Listening online is a place to which I will not go!

We all need to do our part for our great team. So if ever I reach an age when I have forgotten this lesson, and you see me listening to a game, you have my permission to take the radio from me and throw it out of the window.

In the meantime, the new away shirt that I wore on Thursday night will stay in the wardrobe this afternoon. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha. Me too - especially against Villa in their Brian Little days!

    ReplyDelete